Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Representative Darin LaHood

Representing the 18th District of Illinois

Veterans and Military Affairs

How Can I Help?

  • Contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on your behalf
  • Inquire about benefit claims and appeals and assist active and reserve military with pay and benefit issues
  • Provide access to resources for families and dependents
  • Assist in obtaining military records and honors and with cemetery and memorial services

If you are a veteran living in Illinois’ 18th Congressional District, I am here to provide assistance with any federal agency, including the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Whether you’re looking for more information about veterans’ benefits or are having an issue or time delay with a benefit claim or an appeal, my office stands ready to assist you. If you would like for my office to help with a matter involving the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or other military affairs, please print out and complete this Privacy Act Release Form. Once the form is completed, please contact Michael Gilmore in my Peoria District office at (309) 671-7027 or by email at If Michael is unavailable, please contact one of my district offices.

PLEASE NOTE: I can only ask that an agency review a decision or expedite the decision-making process. Please be aware that although a United States Congressman does have authority in legislative matters, the power to change decisions made by a government agency lies within the executive branch of government.

Frequently Asked Questions

If your question is not answered below, please do not hesitate to contact one of my offices.

What are my military burial benefits or cemetary options?

The VA’s National Cemetery Administration maintains 131 national cemeteries in 40 states (and Puerto Rico) as well as 33 soldier’s lots and monument sites.

According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, burial benefits available include the following: a gravesite in any of the 131 national cemeteries with available space; opening and closing of the grave; perpetual care; a Government headstone or marker; a burial flag; and a Presidential Memorial Certificate – at no cost to the family.  To check your burial eligibility, please click here.

How can I get the medals I was awarded but never received?

According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, medals awarded while in active service are issued by each military service department if requested by the Veteran or his or her next of kin. Requests for replacement medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the branch of the military in which the Veteran served.  If you are having issues obtaining yours or a loved one’s medal(s), please contact Michael Gilmore in my Peoria District Office at (309) 671-7027 or by email at If Michael is unavailable, please contact one of my district offices.

Am I eligible for veterans' benefits?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers benefits to veterans, their families, and some active service members.  To apply or find out if you are eligible for veterans’ benefits, please visit

How can I get my VA claim or appeal processed faster?

If you’re a constituent of Illinois’ 18th Congressional District and are having issues or time delays with a compensation, pension, and/or survivor benefit claim or an appeal that you’ve submitted to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, my office may be able to help.  Here’s what you can do next to see if we can help get your VA claim or appeal processed faster:

Where can I get assistance filing a claim for benefits?

Eight of the nineteen counties in the 18th District have a Veterans Assistance Commission (VAC) that provides assistance with filing a claim for benefits and financial services to eligible veterans.  Please contact the Veteran Assistance Commission in your county for VAC information.

The Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs (IDVA) also provides veterans of Illinois with important information related to state benefits for veterans. IDVA service officers can assist with filing a claim for veteran benefits. Click here to visit the IDVA website for information pertaining to state benefits and programs for veterans.

How can I get a copy of my military records (discharge, medical, etc.)?

You may request your military service records online, by mail, or by fax:

  • Click here to request your service records ONLINE (Note: written signature by mail or fax still required).
  • Click here to request your service records BY MAIL.
  • Click here to request your service records BY FAX.

Veterans Assistance: Important Phone Numbers and Locations

Bob Michel VA Outpatient Clinic
7717 N Orange Prairie Rd
Peoria, IL 61615
Phone: (309) 589-6800

Springfield VA Outpatient Clinic
5850 South 6th Street, Suite A
Springfield, IL 62703
Phone: (217) 529-5046

Quincy VA Outpatient Clinic
721 Broadway Street
Quincy, IL 62301
Phone: (217) 224-3366

The Adjutant Illinois Veterans Home - Quincy
1707 N. 12th Street
Quincy, Illinois 62301
Phone: (217) 222 - 8641

Peoria Vet Center
8305 N. Allen Road, Suite 1
Peoria, IL 61615
Phone: (309) 689-9708 or 877-927-8387

Springfield Vet Center
1227 S. Ninth Street
Springfield, IL 62703
Phone: (217) 492-4955 or 877-927-8387

Benefits: 1-800-827-1000

Health Care: 1-877-222-VETS (8387)

Network 10 Nurse Line: 1-888-838-6446

VA Inspector General: 1-800-488-8244

Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)

Helpful Veteran Service Links

Apply for VA Benefits:

My HealtheVet:

Search all VA Forms: