Internal Revenue Service
How Can I Help?
- Contact the IRS on your behalf
- Correspond with the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate on your behalf with issues including refunds, tax liens, offers and compromise, unpaid taxes, payment and penalties
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the revenue service of the federal government. The IRS has the main responsibility of collecting taxes and interpreting the Internal Tax Code.
Receiving your Refund
Processing time for refund returns depends on the method used for filing. For example:
- e-file opting for direct deposit: 3 weeks after filing your return;
- e-file opting for paper check: 8 weeks after filing your return.
Checking the Status of your Refund
If you still have not received your refund, check the IRS website or call the Refund Hotline at (800)-829-1954. Have a copy of your tax return to find your social security number, the filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of your refund.
Losing your Refund Check
If your refund check has not been cashed, the IRS can normally provide a replacement within six to eight weeks.
If your refund check has been cashed, the Financial Management Service (FMS) will provide a copy of the check and a “Form 3911 Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund” to initiate a claim.
The signature on the cancelled check will be reviewed before determining whether another refund can be issued.
Call (800) 829-1040 and ask an IRS representative if the payment has been credited to your account. If it has not and the check has not cleared your financial institution, you may choose to place a stop payment on the original check and send another payment.
- Download IRS Forms: www.irs.gov
- Order by phone: 1-800-829-3676
- For the hearing impaired: 1-800-829-4059
- Order by fax: (703) 368-9694
Ongoing Issues with the IRS
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an IRS program that provides an independent system to ensure that tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels are promptly and fairly handled. The Taxpayer Advocate 24-hour taxpayer hotline: 1-877-777-4778 and the best resource for general IRS information is the agency’s official website: www.irs.gov.